6 Things I Learned in October
1. Not only does Sharky’s have hip decor and appealing menu design, the food is tasty and organic. You know how people say they could eat Chipotle every day? Sharky’s is my Chipotle. I love their salsa bar. I’m a new fan!
2. I always thought I wanted a golden retriever or pomeranian, but now I realize I might be better suited to a dog of a different temperament, like a beagle or something. I don’t think I could keep up with the exercise and play needs of a golden retriever or pomeranian.
3. I have a new life goal. Forget the bucket list, I just want to be someone who laughs often and freely. I want to move towards joy.
4. I have a reallyReallyreally hard time trusting people. Also I’m kind of a control freak. One who’s really hard on herself. (You thought this post was going to be about sunshine and butterflies, huh?) Realizing this is one step towards change, which just might look like letting go of my hard-earned control..
“If we are to be aware of life while we are living it, we must have the courage to relinquish our hard-earned control of ourselves.” -Madeleine L’Engle
5. I probably won’t win any prizes for my math/science aptitude or place in any beauty contest, let’s face it. But if I ever win anything, it just might be because I wrote the winning entry. So, when I came across a once-in-a-lifetime chance to win a dairy farm, when I thought it through and saw how unlikely the whole thing was, but it still stuck with me, I 2-Day mailed an essay with a USPS money order and tried anyway. They ended up not getting the requisite number of entries and refunding everyone’s checks, but I was so glad I went for it. And now I know how a money order works.
6. “What can I do today to practice the future I hope to have?” is a question Emily Freeman asks on her blog post for 10/21/15 (and whose What I Learned monthly series is a fun outlet for remembering, recounting, and revealing). Five years later I hope I won’t be where I am now, but it’ll take measured steps to get there.